Lewis University is concerned about the increased violence in society that has also filtered into many workplaces throughout the United States. With this concern in mind, the University has taken steps to help maintain safe working conditions at the University. In this regard, it is the policy of Lewis University to expressly prohibit any actions or threats of violence by any Lewis employee, against any other employee or student in or about University facilities. In addition, the University will not condone any acts or threats of violence against Lewis employees, students, or visitors on University premises at any time or while they are engaged in business with or on behalf of Lewis, on or off University premises.
In keeping with the spirit and intent of this policy, and to ensure that Lewis University's objectives in this regard are attained, the University is committed to the following.
- To provide a safe and healthful work environment.
- To take prompt and remedial action, up to and including immediate dismissal of employment, against any employee who engages in any threatening behavior or acts of violence or who uses any obscene, abusive, or threatening language or gestures.
- To take appropriate action when dealing with students, or visitors to Lewis' campuses who engage in such behavior. Such action may include notifying Campus Police or, in the cases of off-campus locations, local law enforcement personnel, and prosecuting violators of this policy to the maximum extent of the law.
- To prohibit employees, students, and visitors from bringing unauthorized firearms or other weapons onto Lewis University's premises.
- To establish viable security measures to ensure that Lewis University's facilities are safe and secure to the maximum extent possible and properly control access to University facilities by the public and off-duty employees.
Any employee who engages in or displays a tendency to engage in violent, abusive, or threatening behavior, or who otherwise engages in behavior that Lewis University, in its sole discretion, deems offensive or inappropriate will be referred to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources and, as appropriate, the Chief of Police.
In furtherance of this policy, employees have a "duty to warn" their supervisors, security personnel, or Human Resources personnel of any questionable workplace activity or situations or incidents that they observe or that they are aware of that involve other employees, students, or visitors. This includes, for example, threats or acts of violence, aggressive behavior, offensive comments or remarks, and the like. Employee reports made pursuant to this policy will be held in confidence to the maximum possible extent. Lewis University will not condone any form of retaliation against any employee for making a report under this policy.