Steps to Get Started

GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Yellow Ribbon
  1. Apply for VA Benefits
    Lewis University is proud to announce our partnership in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program, which allows qualified Post-9/11 veterans to enroll in our academic programs at Lewis University, virtually tuition free!

    Apply for GI Bill benefits online at or call (888) 442-4551.

    Visit our Benefits FAQ page for more details on your benefits.
  2. Apply for admission to Lewis University
    There is a separate application depending on what type of student you are. Read the student descriptions to choose the correct application form. Also, be sure to check Veteran, Reserves, or Active Duty on the form.
  3. Submit transcripts.
    Contact all previous colleges/universities attended and have official transcripts sent to Lewis University. All military will receive academic credit by completing the form below.

    Joint Services Transcript

    Community College of the Air Force

    Would you like to get academic credit for your military service? JST is the Joint Services Transcript that will replace the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member's military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations.
  4. Apply for financial aid.
    Lewis University's federal school code is 001707.
    Meet with the VA Coordinator in the Office of Financial Aid Services. They have the answers with how Lewis will work with you on your education benefits.
  5. Submit relevant documents to financial aid.
    Certificate of Eligibility, DD 214, and/or transcripts to financial aid
  6. Register for Classes.
    Set up an orientation date with your adviser. When you apply you will receive one. Attend orientation and meet with advisor to register for classes. Program dates and details will be sent after admission to the university. Adult accelerated students will meet individually with their admission counselor for this process.
  7. E-mail or Call Office of Veterans Affairs to connect with services and support for our military and veteran student population: or (815) 836-5428
Invisible line, width of the page