Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Police Department located?
The main office of the University Police Department is located in the upper level of the Student Union, room SU-103. Our hours are 9 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday. The Communication Center at the entrance of campus is open 24 hours a day. Our non-emergency number is (815) 836-5222 or Ext. 5222 and our emergency phone number is (815) 836-5911 or Ext. 5911.

I have a parking permit from last year. Do I need to get a new one? 
All Student and Faculty/Staff permits now expire June 30th of each year.  You must obtain a new permit each year you intend to park a vehicle on campus.  You only need a new permit if during the school year you change to a different vehicle or you changed your status on campus (e.g. resident last year, commuter this year).

I was a resident last year and I am a commuter student this year (or vice versa), what should I do about parking? 
Every year students must obtain a new parking permit regardless of their status.  This is now done online via the MyLewis web portal.  The system only allows you to purchase permits matching your status.  For example a Commuter student may purchase a Commuter permit and not a Resident permit.  If your status has changed and the permit system shows a prior status please contact the police department.  You should only order a permit that matches your status. If a change is needed the police department will update the parking permit system so you can order the correct permit.

What are the costs for parking permits? 
Students are charged a $180 annual parking permit fee.  The fee for each additional vehicle for the “same student” is $50 annually. This fee is paid online by credit card at the time of purchase.  It is not billed to your student account. Lewis University will waive fees for graduate students, accelerated students and individuals who are willing to park only in the remote parking lot (NN) on the southwest side of campus.  A limited number of Lot NN permits are available (first come – first served).

I recently had knee surgery; can I get a temporary handicapped permit from University Police?
If you and your doctor feel temporary handicapped parking is needed, you may apply for a placard through the Secretary of State’s Office at Local police departments cannot issue permits which allow individuals to park in handicapped spots. These spots are strictly regulated by the Secretary of State’s Office.

I am a commuter student and have trouble finding parking, where can I park?
There are typically open parking spaces in lots GG (west of the Student Recreation and Fitness Center), NN (southwest of the soccer field), ZZ (south of Dorothy Day Hall) and Z (south of Pope John Paul II Hall).

My car did not start this morning and I will be bringing a car that is not registered. What should I do so that I do not get a ticket?
Come down to the Police Department main office and register for a temporary permit. These permits are valid for one week. Temporary permits may be issued up to 4 times each semester.

I am a graduate student, do I need to register my vehicle and get a parking permit? 
Yes, all vehicles parked on the Lewis University Romeoville campus must be registered with a parking permit. The parking permit fee is waived for graduate students, accelerated students and individuals who are willing to park only in the remote parking lot (NN) on the southwest side of campus.

I work full time and cannot get to the University until after business hours, how can I get a parking permit and student ID? 
Parking permits can now be ordered online 24/7 and are mailed to the student’s mailing address.  Upon purchasing a permit the student may download and print a Temporary Permit that is valid up to two weeks before they receive their regular permit in the mail.