Social Security Card

Social Security Number/Card

A social security number (SSN) is necessary to acquire many services in this country.  For example, you will need a SSN to get a driver's license and a bank account, and to get campus (or other) employment.  It is also your identification number for tax purposes. 

To obtain a social security number, you must fill out an application at the Social Security Administration Office or with the Social Security agent at your International Student Orientation to Lewis University.  You will need all documents you have received from the Office of Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS).  It will take about ten days to receive the card and number.  If you need transportation to the Social Security Administration, please contact the Department of International Student Services at (815) 836-5549.

Location of the Social Security Administration

101 North Joliet Street, Room 130
Joliet, IL 60434
(815) 740-2020
(800) 772-1213 (to ask questions of SSA agents, Mon-Fri 7 a.m.-7 p.m.)

You may find more information about Social Security and how to apply for a card on the internet at .  Most of this information is for U.S. citizens.  However, you may find the "Questions?" link (at the top of the page) and the "Understanding Social Security" section useful.