On-Campus Housing

On-campus housing in the residence halls is administered by the Office of Residence Life located in the Office of Student Services in the Student Union (extension 5275). 

A detailed explanation of the policies, procedures and rules of living in the residence halls can be found in The Student Handbook

If you have any questions about living in the residence halls, contact your residence hall staff or stop by the Office of Residence Life. The Office of Residence Life also oversees various student activities. 

The International Student Association works with the Office of Residence Life to plan programs for international students.

Meal Plans/Meal Cards

Students who live in the residence halls must participate in a Meal Plan. 

There are three types of Meal Plan offered, with varying prices. 

These are explained in the Course Schedule book each semester. 

The student will be charged for the Meal Plan chosen, and given a card with the amount credited. 

This card may be taken to the Dining Hall and the Flyers' Den and used for the cost of meals.

On-Campus Food Service

Food service for Lewis University's Dining Hall and Flyers' Den is provided by Sodexo Food Services Office. 

You may call the Menu Hotline at 815-838-3663.

Dining Hall

Dining Service is located in the Academic Building. 

Meals are a part of your housing contract for the academic year, except during break periods, if you live on-campus. 

Telephone - 815-836-5387

Flyers Den Snack Bar

Located in the lowest level of the Student Union, the snack bar, known as “The Flyers’ Den” is open daily. 

A selection of fast food/take-out items such as burgers, pizza and chicken are available. 

A variety of salads, entree salads and freshly made deli sandwiches are also available. 

Students may use their meal card in the Flyers’ Den at any time.

Telephone - 815-836-5387

Meals During Holiday Breaks

The main Dining Hall is usually closed during holiday breaks; however, the Flyers’ Den is generally open at announced hours. 

You may use cash or your meal card to obtain food.  

Flyers' Den hours will be posted prior to each break period.

On-Campus Telephone Service

Resicom, a private utility company, provides telephone service in the residence halls.  Each residence hall room is assigned a telephone number and each student is assigned an authorization code. You will receive your authorization code and instruction booklet in the mail or from a Residence Life staff member. 

If you do not receive an authorization code, you should stop by the Office of Student services to request a code. 

Your authorization code will allow you to make local, long distance and international telephone calls for which you will be charged. 

On-campus calls are free of charge. It is wise not to allow others to use your authorization code.

Housing During Semester Breaks

Housing is provided for international students who are unable to go home during school holidays and breaks (Fall Break, Thanksgiving, Winter Break, Spring Break, Easter and Summer Break). 

There is an additional charge for housing during Winter, Spring, and Summer Breaks. 

Contact the Office of Residence Life for the cost and procedures for staying on campus during these breaks.

Short Term Accommodations


Country Inn and Suites

(3 Types of Suites Available)

1265 Lakeview Drive, Romeoville 630-378-1052

Pool, Jacuzzi, exercise Room, Free Continental Breakfast From 6am - 10:30 am, Shuttle Service to and from university is available. 

Guest Laundry, free local calls, data ports on phones.

Extended Stay America 1225 Lakeview Court, Romeoville 630-226-8966 Kitchenette in Rooms, Guest Laundry
La Quinta Inn Bolingbrook 225 W. S. Frontage Road, Bolingbrook 630-226-0000 I-55 & Rt. 53
Holiday Inn 205 Remington Blvd., Bolingbrook 630-679-1600

1/4 Mile west of Rt. 53 on Remington Blvd. 

Full Service Hotel, Pool, Business Services, Meeting Rooms

Ramada Inn Limited 520 S. Bolingbrook Drive, Bolingbrook 630-972-9797 I-55 & Rt. 53, next to Union 76
Comfort Inn 3235 Norman Avenue, Joliet 815-436-5141 Pool, Close to Lewis and Mall
Comfort Inn 135 S. Larkin Avenue, Joliet 815-744-1770 Pool
Fairfield Inn 3239 Norman Avenue, Joliet 815-436-6577 Close to Lewis and Mall
Fairfield Inn 1701 Riverboat Center Drive, Joliet 815-741-3499 Close to Empress Casino, Off I-80, Exit 127
Ramada Express 3231 Norman, Joliet 815-439-4200 Close to Lewis and Mall, off I-55
Super 8 Motel
3401 Mall Loop Drive 815-439-3838 Very Nice Super 8, Pool, Close to Lewis and Mall, off I-55
Empress Hotel 2200 Empress Road, Joliet 815-744-9400 At the Empress Casino Complex
Harrah's Casino Hotel 151 Joliet Street, Joliet 800-427-7247 Fitness Center, Attached to Casio, Close to Lewis, 4 Kinds of Suites

Long Term Off-Campus Housing Accommodations

There are a large variety of housing options available to students and scholars in the area. Living on campus provides you with the opportunity to meet and socialize with other students.  Relatively inexpensive housing is, however, available both on-campus and within walking or driving distance to campus. 

Most international students live in apartments, flats, or houses which they share with other students in the vicinity of campus. Generally, students prefer to rent the less expensive unfurnished apartments and then buy in-expensive second hand (used) furniture. 

It is important when renting an apartment or house to ascertain which utilities, if any, are included in the rent such as water, heat, and/or electricity. Phones are never included in the price of the rent, although cable television may be. The ISSO can provide you with information about signing up with utility companies if they are not included in the rent, although the landlord will generally have this information as well. 

When renting an apartment or flat, it is also important to promptly complete the checklist of defects, if any, so you are not charged for any damage to the apartment when you are moving out. You should also read carefully and thoroughly any lease you are asked to sign. It is also a good idea to obtain renters insurance, particularly if you intend to purchase a computer.

When looking for an apartment or other unit to rent, keep these things in mind:

  • Consider the convenience of the location to the Lewis campus(es), to neighborhood stores. 
  • Look at the neighborhood; will you feel comfortable?
  • Look carefully at the rental property. 
  • Is it in good repair? 
  • Does it have an air conditioner? (summers are hot in this area) 
  • Is it clean and are the building and grounds well-tended? 
  • Are pets permitted? 
  • Is there a swimming pool?
  • Ask whether there are laundry machines to wash and dry your clothes. 
  • If not, is there a commercial laundromat nearby?
  • If you choose to rent a unit, you may ask to speak to references - that is, people who have lived there before and would be willing to recommend the place. 
  • It is customary for a manager or landlord to require a deposit equivalent to one month's rent. 
  • This deposit will secure the place until you move in, and can be used to pay for any damage you have caused when you leave. 
  • If you have cause no damage to the property, the deposit will be returned to you.
  • You will be asked to sign a rental contact. 
  • Read your contract carefully and make sure you understand everything in before you sign it.

Off-Campus Housing Information

A good source of information about off-campus housing in the area is through the free bi-monthly publication called "Apartment for Rent."  This publication is a comprehensive guide to apartments and other rental properties in the area. 

Many students chose to live in apartments or houses off-campus. Often students enjoy sharing living space with other students and it also helps them to save on their expenses.

Apartments and houses are rented either furnished (with furniture) or unfurnished (without furniture). Unfurnished ones are more common and cost less than furnished ones. It is easy to rent an unfurnished apartment and then to obtain inexpensive used furniture.

Renters or "tenants" gnerally have to pay for their own utilities (electricity, gas, water and telephone), although the monthly rent may include some of these. The owner (called a landlord) or manager will provide you with information about obtaining utility services.

In order to find an apartment, you can surf the web, look in some of the free apartment finder magazines, inquire through a real estate agent, or read the classified advertisements ("want ads") in the Oakland newspaper, The Oakland Press. Another easy way to find an apartment is to simply walk or drive around the area and look for "apartments for rent" signs.

Renting in the U.S.

Usually, when you rent an apartment or house in the U.S., you will be required to sign a lease. A lease is a written agreement between a tenant and a landlord describing the rights and responsibilities of each. This is common in the United States as Americans like agreements reduced to writing so there is no misunderstandings. 

A lease is a binding legal document which, among other things, makes the tenant responsible for any damage to the rental property. The lease also specifies the landlord’s responsibilities for maintenance and repair of the unit. The lease will explain how much rent is due for each month, the date it is due, and the penalties if it is not given to the landlord on time. A lease may or may not contain provisions concerning its early termination.

When you sign a lease, you will usually have to pay a "security deposit" which may amount to as much as two months’ rent. The landlord is required to return the deposit after you leave the apartment/house if you have paid your rent, left the apartment clean and undamaged, and have not been evicted (asked to leave by the apartment manager). If all of your deposit is not returned, the landlord should give you a written statement explaining why some or all of the deposit was withheld.

You should read the lease completely before signing. There are certain sections that require special attention. Make sure the lease runs for the length of time which you will need the apartment, but not longer. Ask if the lease can be renewed yearly or monthly when it expires and if there are options to sign the lease for shorter periods of time in case you find an accommodation which better suits your needs. 

It is also important to find out what the conditions are under which you can "break" the lease (move out of the apartment), how much prior notice (usually one or two months) you have to give the landlord, and what the penalty is if you break the lease early. If you cannot break the lease, you may be required to pay rent until the end of the lease period even if you move out and live somewhere else. Ask if you may "sublet" (have another tenant rent the apartment in your absence) or if you can share the apartment with another. This can be helpful if you spend a semester away on an internship.

It is also important to check which utilities are included in the rent and which ones are not. If heat is included, this may save you as much as $75 to $100 a month in utility bills. You can ask the landlord or the utility company what the average utility bill is. These costs can vary significantly from one place to another. If you make any special agreements with the landlord concerning repairs or alterations, make sure those agreements are written into the lease, signed, and dated. (Americans consider it essential to have important agreements written down and signed.)

Finally, consider any restrictions and exclusions. For example, are children or pets allowed, can you barbeque near the building, hang paintings on the wall, paint the walls a different color, play music after 9:00 at night, etc.. Some landlords do not allow any of these things.

It is also a good idea to purchase "renter’s insurance" (also called "homeowner’s insurance") to protect against losses caused by fire, theft, or vandalism. This kind of insurance covers personal belongings in your house or apartment. It may also cover theft to items left in your car if you have one. It also covers damages for which you would be legally liable if a fire or other accident that was your fault damaged the apartment building and/or the property of other renters. 

The cost of renter’s insurance varies depending on the value of your personal possessions, but is relatively low. When buying insurance, get rate information from two or three different insurance agents. The names of insurance agents’ and their telephone numbers are in the telephone directory yellow pages under "insurance." Your landlord may also have information about insurance agents who provide rental insurance.