Healthcare / Insurance Info

Health care in the United States can be very expensive and even a short hospital stay can cost thousands of dollars.  Some hospitals in the United States will not treat individuals who do not have insurance.  This is the reason the University and the U.S. government requires international students to obtain health insurance coverage.  

International students and all (J-1) exchange visitors and their dependents holding J-2 status are required to comply with the health insurance requirements of the University in order to go to school here. 

Insurance which meets these requirements may be purchased through the University.  The international health insurance program, which is a requirement for registration, is designed to provide international students, exchange visitors, and their eligible dependents with continuous insurance protection and access to quality, affordable health care services. 

The U.S. Government feels strongly about the importance of health insurance.  This is why it mandates that the University terminate from its program all exchange visitors and their dependents who do not meet minimum insurance requirements.

For more information, please contact the International Student Services office at (815) 836-5549.

Lewis also serves the health care needs of international students through the Center for Health and Counseling Services. Short term, on-campus services provided by the Center are confidential and free of charge to Lewis University students.

The Center staff is a multi-disciplinary treatment team of physical and mental health professionals who are dedicated to serving our campus community.

The Center also provides information on a variety of health and wellness topics.

Students with more serious conditions requiring emergency treatment, care for chronic health issues, or special care beyond that provided by the University Health Center may go to one of several neighboring health care facilities.  We are located in a geographically well-served area with several hospitals only 15 minutes from campus. For a list of local medical resources please call the Center at (815) 836-5455 or visit the Health and Counseling Services webpage

The Center does not manage chronic health issues. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, it is important that you establish with a physician in the area as soon as possible. You should bring your medical records, including a list of all medications, along with a sufficient supply of these medications (at least 30 days). This will give you time to get established with a physician in the area. Please make this a top priority to insure that your medical condition does not interfere with your academic success.  If you have a severe medical condition, please be aware that the Student Health Insurance Plan does not generally cover pre-existing conditions until the student has been enrolled at least one year.

If you have any questions about your health and are unsure of the appropriate resource, please contact the Center for Health and Counseling Services at (815) 836-5455.  Health Insurance questions can be directed to the International Student Services office at (815) 836-5549.  

Tuberculosis Testing

Tuberculosis (TB) is a communicable disease with potentially serious, long-lasting consequences if not treated.  Because TB rates are on the rise in many parts of the world, The Center for Health and Counseling Services, following CDC guidelines, requests that all international students be screened and/or tested for TB.  Information sheets on TB and how the skin test is administered are available at the Center for Health and Counseling Services.  

TB can be treated and Health Services can assist in providing you with the appropriate resources, if you have been exposed or are infected by TB. Contact the Center for Health and Counseling Services for more information on TB skin testing.

International Student Immunization Policy

The Illinois Immunization Law requires all incoming students to have proof of their immunizations on file at The Center for Health and Counseling Services. All students, including undergraduate, graduate, readmitted and transfer students must comply. The law pertains to you if you are taking 6 or more credit hours per semester on the Romeoville campus.

If you fit the above criteria, you must present the Center for Health and Counseling Services at Lewis University with copies of immunization records showing you have received the required immunizations listed on the Health Services Immunizations and TB Testing Information page.

If you are not absolutely certain that you can show documentation of the required immunizations, you should contact your private physician or local public health department for updates. For your convenience, the Center for Health and Counseling Services offers immunizations to currently enrolled students for a fee.

A health care provider must certify all immunization records.

Required Health documentation must be submitted to Health Services before September 1st for Fall Semester and February 1st for Spring Semester to avoid a non-refundable $50 late fee and a Health Services Hold for future class registration. The Health Services Hold will only be removed once the required documentation is received. NO EXCEPTIONS.