CPT Application Form
You must submit your CPT application AT LEAST TWO WEEKS BEFORE your employment start date to ensure you are authorized to work on time. If you submit your application later than that, we cannot guarantee that you will be authorized to work by your requested start date of employment. Please note that F-1 students are required to have their CPT I-20 in hand on their first day of employment.
STEP 1: You should be F-1 visa compliant.
You must be enrolled in classes, be in good academic standing, and maintain good academic standing throughout the duration of employment.
STEP 2: Receive a job offer – but do not accept it yet.
Seek a position that is integral to or directly related to your program of study. Important: remember that CPT applications require thorough review so please select an employment start date that allows for ISGSS processing time. The job offer letter should include ALL the following information:
- Student’s full name
- Job title
- Job description
- Full-time or part-time status
- Start and end date of employment
- Employer’s name, title, address, email, phone number, & signature
- Company letter head
STEP 3: Complete the CPT application form.
- You should complete section 1 of the CPT application form.
- If your proposed training is not required for graduation, you should complete section 1a, list specific course/s that the CPT internship will be tied/linked to and include a copy of your Degree Works page summary in a PDF format.
To find the course description of a specific course, click this video or follow the instructions below:
- Go to https://lewisu.edu/index.htm
- Click Academics tab
- on Degrees & Programs, click on your specific program (undergraduate/ graduate/ etc)
- Find your specific major or program of study.
- Scroll down and look for “view the program curriculum.”
- Click on the course number to view the course description.
- Have your employer complete Section II of the CPT application form.
STEP 4: Send your CPT application form with section 1 and 2 completed along with your job offer letter to your Academic Advisor.
Only completed CPT applications will be reviewed. Incomplete CPT applications will be rejected and must be resubmitted once they have been properly completed. CPT applications that are resubmitted will be subject to the 15-business day processing.
STEP 5: Your academic advisor needs to fill out section III of the CPT application form.
Your academic advisor will email your completed application to the ISGSS office for final review. Important: remember that CPT applications require thorough review so please select an employment start date that allows for ISGSS processing time.
STEP 6: Receive your CPT I-20 from ISGSS.
You will receive your updated I-20 with CPT authorization within 5 business days. Once received, you must review and verify that the dates, part-time/full-time, and employer name and location are correct. You can only work for the employer and dates you are authorized. Sign and date page 1 of your I-20 in blue ink if all the information is correct.
Make sure to keep all copies of your previously issued I-20 for your own permanent records.