Returning Student Housing Selection
During the Spring semester, current students will have the opportunity to apply for and select their housing for the upcoming academic year. Housing Selection for the 2023-2024 academic year begins Monday, March 14, 2022.
Housing Selection Timeline
- Monday, March 13 – Wednesday, March 15: Room Renewal
- Monday, March 20 – Tuesday, March 21: Rising Seniors (90+ credits earned)
- Thursday, March 23 – Friday, March 24: Rising Juniors (59+ credits earned)
- Monday, March 27 – Tuesday, March 28: Rising Sophomores (29+ credits earned)
- Thursday, March 30: Open to all, all room fill restrictions lifted
Housing Selection closes on Friday, April 28. Any current student who starts a housing application after this date will be assigned a housing space by Residence Life staff.
The Office of Residence Life encourages returning students to take advantage of the Roommate Selection page of the housing application to create roommate groups. This option allows residents to select who they want to live with and assign a group leader who will place all members of the roommate group at the same time, assisting with securing a housing space all together!
Please be aware that until Thursday, March 30 there will be roommate group and room size in place requiring that all students selecting housing be in a roommate group that will fill the selected housing space. For example, an individual student will not be able to place themselves in a double-occupancy bedroom; a roommate group of two students will not be able to select a triple-occupancy bedroom, etc. If you wish to live in a double-occupancy room, we recommend you create a roommate group with your desired roommate before housing selection.
What is Housing Selection?
Housing Selection is an opportunity for current Lewis University students (continuing students and residents - rising Seniors, rising Juniors, rising Sophomore) to choose the specific room they want to live in for the 2023-2024 academic year. Students will easily be able to secure a space and sign a Housing Agreement through our online Housing Portal.
Who is Qualified?
- Current on-campus resident
- Full-time student
- Will be a rising Sophomore, Junior or Senior for the 2023 - 2024 academic year
Keep in mind that all residents must maintain full-time student status at Lewis University in order to live in the residence halls. (12 credits for undergraduates and 6 hours for graduate students).
Graduating Students - Those graduating upon the completion of Fall 2023 semester can still participate in Housing Selection. The Office of Residence Life will release graduating students from the Spring portion of their housing assignment, given that they are not registered for any Spring 2024 classes and are moved out by the end of the Fall semester. We only ask that you notify our office towards the end of the Fall semester and complete a housing cancellation form, so we are aware of your future departure.
Spring 2024 Study Abroad Students - Same as graduating students. The Office of Residence Life will release you from this portion of your housing assignment, given that you have been officially accepted into the program, are not registered for any Spring 2024 classes (other than the program itself) and are moved out by the end of the Fall semester. Please notify our office towards the end of the Fall semester and complete a housing cancellation form, so we are aware of your future departure.
Students Currently Studying Abroad - If you are Lewis University student currently studying abroad, and will be back in the Fall to continue your degree, you are eligible to participate.
What to Expect
The entire process will be completed online. Your participation date will depend on your housing status.
Step One - Housing Application and Solidifying Roommate Groups (Optional)
- Current residents that submit the Housing Application who are interested in rooming with current students can create a roommate group in the housing portal.
- Please know that they will only be searchable if the person(s) you are interested in rooming with is a current student that submits a housing application.
- Only current students can select other current students that submit the housing application.
Step Two - Room Renewal (available only to current residents in upperclassmen residence halls)
- Room Renewal is for students interested in the room they are currently assigned to. If the space is available for next year, students interested can select the space they are currently residing.
- Students who’s space is not available for upcoming academic year will be notified via email before Housing Selection begins.
Step Three - Roommate Group Selection (optional)
- The roommate group leader will select the entire group’s building and spaces. Once the group is assigned a room, each member will need to sign in to the housing portal to complete their Housing Agreement and select their meal plan.
- Please communicate amongst one another when your group leader assigns each member's space.
Step Four - Rising Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores
- Housing Selection will be open to current students based on credits earned.
- Housing selection for our students takes place in seniority order.
- Rising Seniors, then Rising Juniors, then Rising Sophomores
Step Five - Open to all
- Current residents that submitted a Housing Application that did not yet select a space will have the opportunity to select a space.
- Room types and buildings are based on availability.
- The last day for Housing Selection is Friday, May 5.
Housing Contract Terms
Please be advised, all submitted housing agreements are binding and hold you financially accountable to your contract terms for the academic year. Please do not submit a housing agreement if you intend to use on-campus housing as a backup plan, or if you're unsure about living on campus.
It is strongly recommended that you plan ahead and contact the Business Office and Financial Aid to ensure that you are able to make this financial commitment PRIOR to signing your future housing contract. Do not complete a housing contract if you aren't sure what your financial situation will be in Fall.
On-Campus Residence Halls
Please refer to the Upperclassmen & Graduate Residence Halls page on our website for detailed information about each residence hall.
Students with Disabilities
Returning students must keep an up to date annual registration for their service or emotional support animal with the Learning Access Coordinator, Academic Services in the Center for Academic Success and Enrichment (CASE). Students will be required to reach out to CASE where they will be asked to provide appropriate documents to re-register their service or emotional support animal.
If you require special room accommodations due to an ADA recognized disability, please contact the Academic Services at 815-836-5593 or email@example.com.
These disabilities may include (but are not limited to):
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactive Disorder
- Learning Disabilities
- Communication Disorders
- Psychological Disabilities
- Blindness/Visual Impairment
- Other Health or Physical Impairment
For additional accommodations, please visit: https://www.lewisu.edu/case/disabilityservices/index.htm
Roommate Group Requests
Roommate group requests will vary depending on each person’s housing and/or student status.
- Before Housing Selection begins applicants will be able to form a roommate group in the housing portal.
- No more than 6 per group (The majority of sections in Pope, Mother Teresa, Dorothy Day, and North Halls house 6 residents. There are very limited spaces in those buildings that house fewer residents).
- Roommate group requests are made in the portal.
- Current students can only search for current students in the housing portal.
- This means current students cannot request new and incoming students as roommates.
- In order to be searchable, you must submit your housing application.
- You must have the display in roommate search box checked in the roommate profile page.
- Roommate groups should have conversations on specific building, room types, and budget for the next academic year.
- All roommate groups will need to be confirmed and finalized in the housing portal before a roommate group leader is able to place all group members
- The availability of spaces will change frequently, as all vacant spaces will be an available option for other inquiring students.
- The availability of spaces can change at any time during Housing Selection.
- Any vacant spaces will be assigned to regular applicants throughout the spring and summer.
On-Campus Housing Rates
The prices posted reflect the rates that have been approved for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Room & Board Rates
For financial planning purposes, contact the Office of the Bursar and Financial Aid.
All resident students are required to participate in one of the meal plans. The University offers 3 meal plans, each with a different level of participation. Students indicate their desired meal plan during the housing application/selection process on the Housing Portal.
All meal plans function as certain amount of meal swipes and Flyer dollars per semester. Flyer dollar balances carry over from Fall semesters into Spring semesters, while meal swipes do not carry over from semester to semester. These balances do not carry into a different school year and accounts are non-transferable. You may add money to the account balances at any time.
Paying for Housing
Complete payment of all charges (tuition, fees, housing, etc.) is due by the first day of class for the fall and spring semesters. Summer term charges are due by the first day of class. Resident students must be paid in full or have a payment plan established prior to move-in.
We encourage all students to plan ahead by contact the Office of the Bursar and Financial Aid before signing a Housing Agreement for the upcoming academic year.
Inquiries regarding the relationship between housing costs and student's financial aid package can be answered by the Office of Financial Aid.
Roommate Group Housing Selection
For residents in a roommate group, the roommate group leader will log into the housing portal and select the group's building and room on their assigned housing selection date. Students that are in a roommate group will secure housing by signing the housing agreement after the roommate group leader assigns each student a space.
It's important for everyone in the group to communicate with one another as the roommate group leader will be the only one assigning each person's room.
Room Renewal begins Monday, March 13. This is for current residents who would like to select the same room for the 2023-2024 academic year.
If the space is available for next year, students interested can select the space they are currently residing.
Current freshmen housed in Founders, Sheil, and South Halls are not eligible for room renewal.
If your current space will not be available for the 2023-2024 academic year, you will have been notified by the Office of Residence Life.
Open To All
Starting Thursday, March 30th, Contract Renewal will be open to ALL currently enrolled full-time Lewis University students.
Buildings and room styles are based on availability. Any rooms not claimed throughout the housing selection process are up for grabs.
Move-In information will be communicated to all resident students during the summer term.
If you have any additional questions concerning the 2023-2024 Housing Selection process, please contact the Office of Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.