A resume is a written summary of your application qualifications for a particular job or type of employment. The purpose of a resume is to make the employer interested in you and invite you in for an interview. Your resume should include the following:
Your name, phone, email, and LinkedIn URL can be included. Address, city and state are optional.
This should be a series of statements that inform the employer of your top qualifications.
Provide name of degree(s) received, name of school(s), city and state, date of graduation or anticipated graduation. Include major and minor areas of study and GPA if 3.0 or higher. List the most recently attended institution first.
This should include a list of job titles or internship positions along with the company name, city, state and dates of employment. This should be followed by a brief description of your duties, responsibilities and accomplishments.
These may include but are not limited to: Relevant Courses, Internships, Computer Skills, Academic Honors, Military Experience, Professional Affiliations, Activities, Associations, etc. Depending on where the most relevant information lies, you can choose which of these can be included.
References should not be listed on the resume. See the reference sheet sample for information.
More Resume Tips!!
- Try to limit your resume to one page. Some companies will only review one page, so pertinent information needs to be first. If you have extensive work history, then limit it to two pages.
- Use clear, concise descriptions of work experience.
- Use action verbs to begin each statement.
- Try to stay away from repetition of words. It could distract the reader.
- Avoid the use of personal pronouns such as “I”, “He”, “She”, etc.
- Proofread carefully. Check dates, names, locations, spelling, and structure. Read it several times and then have several others read it before submitting a final copy.
- For additional help with resume writing for your major, make an appointment to see a career counselor. Bring a rough draft of your resume to your appointment.
- Font size 10 to 12 is recommended.
- Use quality bond paper in a neutral color such as white, ivory, or light gray.