Prior to any absence, students are encouraged to communicate and make arrangements for completing missed work with their instructors. When this is not possible and when the absence from class is for three or more class meetings, students can utilize the absence notification process. Students are not required to utilize the absence notification process and are encouraged to work directly with their instructors whenever possible.
The absence notification process provides support to students experiencing medical, mental health or other personal crises that impact their attendance and academic progress. The process is also open to active members of the United States military who are being deployed. Students who expect that they may have repetitive absences for an on-going or an episodic medical issue should consider going through the process to request reasonable accommodations with the Learning Access Coordinator in Academic Services. In these instances, students can submit an absence notification request form and Academic Services will notify faculty of the absence(s) on behalf of the student. Requests for absence notification must include documentation to substantiate the absence(s).
A notification of absence does not excuse the student from assignments, exams or other expectations of the course. Each faculty member will decide what adjustments are possible to provide support to the student. Once faculty are notified by Academic Services the student must follow-up with the faculty member as soon as feasible to discuss next steps for successful completion of the course.
Students must complete the following steps to initiate an absence notification:
- Communicate absence(s) with the faculty as soon as possible.
- Collect documentation to substantiate absence(s) from class.
- Submit the Absence Notification Request form here.
- Submit relevant documentation to Academic Services. Students can email documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org or can drop documentation off in-person in Academic Services in the Learning Resource Center, Suite 342.
Once Academic Services receives a completed Absence Notification Request form and relevant documentation the student will receive an email confirming receipt of their absence notification request. After Academic Services reviews the form and verifies the provided documentation, an absence notification will be sent to faculty via email. The student will be included on the absence notification email. The student’s advisor, the Assistant Dean of the appropriate College and other relevant faculty/staff will be cc’d on the notification.
Please note the following prior to submitting a request for absence notification:
- A request for absence notification must be submitted within one week of the absence(s).
- Absence notification requests will not be granted for travel delays, weather-related delays, job/internship conflicts, court appearances or pet illnesses.
- Depending on the circumstances the student may need to meet with a staff member in Academic Services to discuss the situation and possible withdrawal from the course.
- By submitting the online request form the student is giving permission for the staff in Academic Services to communicate to faculty on their behalf. The student is also giving permission to cc their advisor, the Assistant Dean of the appropriate College and other faculty/staff relevant to the student.
- Documentation provided to Academic Services will be kept confidential. Military documentation will be shared with the Military Education Resource Center staff.