You can be part of the next big technological advancement in the global aviation industry.
With the release of the newest FAA regulations, the unmanned aircraft system (drone) industry is set for unprecedented growth. The demand for drone pilots, developers and builders will soar to new heights.
Lewis is one of the only schools in the nation that can offer you the direct experience and degree you need to launch your career in this high-paying and dynamic field.
Quickly Growing Commercial Drone Market for UAS/UAV Applications
From expedited package delivery to precision agriculture, the commercial potential for unmanned aircraft drone system applications has begun and will include:
- Aerial/field mapping (GIS)
- Agriculture and crop scouting, irrigation and fertilization
- Disaster and emergency management
- Environmental research
- Law enforcement and photogrammetry (crime scene preservation)
- Parcel delivery
Employers are beginning to notice the potential of drones and are planning to maximize the new technology. By earning a Bachelor of Science in Unmanned Aircraft Systems from Lewis University, you will be prepared for the plethora of opportunities available in the growing field upon graduation.
Operations-Focused Curriculum Combines Aviation and Computer Science
You will learn how to design, develop and operate individually-tailored UAS to meet objectives through an interdisciplinary curriculum in which you will:
- Understand and apply the fundamental skills of UAS operation to project design
- Successfully apply Crew Resource Management (CRM) concepts in a collaborative UAS team environment
- Apply foundational computer science and engineering skills in developing UAS algorithms
- Apply foundational aviation maintenance, electrical and avionics skills to UAS devices
- Discuss ethical issues of UAS
Why Lewis for Your Unmanned Aircraft Systems Degree?
- Ranked as one of U.S. News & World Report's "Top Tier Colleges"
- Recognized in 2013-2014 as the nation’s #1 Aviation Program and presented with the Loening Trophy
- One of the only Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) bachelor’s degree programs in the nation
- Only university aviation program in Illinois with on-site airport for hands-on training
- High-tech Harold E. White Aviation Center – one of the most modern aviation education centers in the Midwest
- Cutting-edge computer simulation software in our Aviation Simulation Laboratory
Hands-on training with state-of-the-art equipment including:
- Fixed-wing platforms
- Unmanned Marine Vehicles (Gliders and Submersibles)
Senior Capstone Project: Design Your Own UAS
In the final semester of your program, you will develop your very own UAS application, and will design, build and test a UAS to make it happen.
- Students entering the program directly after graduating from high school need to have earned a minimum 3.0 GPA and a 21 ACT or 1000 SAT.
- Transfer students and students who have already earned a bachelor's degree must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
The Unmanned Aircraft Systems industry is expected to generate an estimated 100,000 jobs and $82.1 billion in economic impact in the next decade. - Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI)
The FAA predicts 10,000 unmanned aircraft systems could be airborne in the U.S. skies by 2020.
For more information contact the Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (815)836-5250.Share ➤