Inform Your Decision-making with Data Analysis
Lewis University’s Data Science Certificate programs were created to provide working professionals and students with the opportunity to learn data analysis techniques to enhance your decision-making. Certificate programs contain in-depth instruction, with classes offered in a convenient, flexible, online format. The certificate programs can potentially be earned within one year.
Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Certificate
The Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Graduate Certificate was created for those who want to solve problems in healthcare and life sciences through the analysis of large data. The online program will teach students the technical skills of data analysis and biotechnology, as well as how to apply those techniques within the areas of computational biology, pharmaceuticals and genetics. Individuals who complete the graduate certificate program will gain the knowledge and technical skills to:
Contact us(815) 205-0943
- Create software for analyzing large data sets.
- Be real-world problem solvers in how best to use data to inform decision-making in computational biology and bioinformatics.
- Evaluate possible solutions for data storage and encryption that meet prescribed performance and storage requirements.
- Implement data management solutions related to computational biology and bioinformatics.
- Identify trends within data sets.
- Utilize big data sets.
- Compare cloud-based solutions for storing large data sets in terms of performance, security, query mechanisms, software development and cost.
- Use innovative ways to utilize data for technical research.
- Create and choose visualization approaches that most clearly depict the characteristics of the data that need to be communicated for a particular purpose.
Data Science Certificate
The Data Science Graduate Certificate provides background and insight into the key mathematical and computer science issues involved in the analysis of big data sets. With this advanced education, professionals in nearly any industry can apply their unique skill set by collecting and interpreting large quantities of organizational data to develop effective solutions for distilling the information. Upon completion of the program, students will be equipped to:
- Apply the tools of calculus, linear algebra, optimization, probability and statistics to identify likely characteristics and trends buried in large data sets so that reasonable conclusions about the data may be drawn.
- Write software that implements the mathematical techniques required to extract meaning from large data sets, primarily using off-the-shelf mathematical software tools.
- Choose large-scale data storage solutions that meet prescribed performance and storage requirements.
- Develop appropriate querying mechanisms for asking questions about large data sets and obtaining answers of sufficient accuracy with reasonable investment of computing power.
- Apply clustering algorithms to characterize large data sets in terms of subsets with similar properties.
- Create and choose visualization approaches that clearly depict the characteristics of the data that need to be communicated for a particular purpose.
- Evaluate and compare cloud-based solutions for storing large data sets in terms of performance, security, query mechanisms, software development and cost.
- Choose appropriate data science techniques for solving problems in disciplines that produce accurate, timely insights from large quantities of data.
100% Online Format
Each online graduate certificate is an 18-credit hour program that can be completed in just 12 months. Data science courses are led by faculty with years of hands-on experience in data visualization, data management, and the applications of big data.
Career Opportunities in Data Science
Data science jobs are in high demand and will seemingly continue that trend into the future as they play at the center of a new renaissance. The certificate offers an inherent scientific and mathematical richness as well as an immediate application to diverse fields. Data has the potential to make a big and positive impact on society, enabling everything from new discoveries in medicine to targeted recommendations of movies and books. Students can utilize their existing background and dynamic skills in data science across many domains including business, education, government, healthcare, life sciences and technology.
Turn Your Certificate Into a Master’s Degree
Lewis’ Data Science Certificate programs are transferable toward the Master of Science in Data Science. Credits earned can be applied directly at a later date. All you have to do is take the remaining required courses in the master’s degree program.
Applicants for the program must meet the following admission requirements:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Undergraduate mathematics coursework in Calculus.
- A completed application for graduate admission
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Two-page statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- International students are required to have a TOEFL test score greater than 550 (computer-based 213; Internet-based 79)
Please refer to the Office of Graduate Admission for application requirements and specific next steps.