Faculty and Staff
Name: Dr. Shan Lin
Title: Associate Professor of Marketing
Office Location: SB-147-N
Education & Certifications:
- 2015 Ph.D., University of Connecticut
- 2008 M.S., Southern Illinois University
- 2006 B.S., Xiamen University, Xiamen, China
Dr. Shan Lin is an Associate Professor of Marketing and the Director of Digital Marketing Program at Lewis University, Romeoville, IL, where she has taught since 2015. She holds a Ph.D. degree in Marketing from the University of Connecticut and a M.S. degree in Economics and Finance from the Southern Illinois University.
Dr. Lin is a current member of the American Marketing Association and the INFORMS Society for Marketing Science. Her research interest lies in the areas of digital marketing, social media marketing, branding, advertising, marketing strategy and marketing-finance interface. She has publications in several well respected peer-reviewed journals such as Journal of Marketing Management, International Journal of Hospitality Management, and International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, etc. She also presented her research work at several international conferences including American Marketing Association Academic Conference and MSI Marketing Strategy Meets Wall Street Conference, etc. In 2016, one of her publications was recognized with the Journal of Marketing Management Best Paper Award (Most Commented). Dr. Lin has served as a reviewer for several academic conferences and peer-reviewed journals and has joined the editorial board of the Journal of Electronic Commerce in Organizations since fall 2019.
She has taught courses range from some of the traditional ones such as Marketing Management (Graduate), Principle of Marketing to the most cutting edge courses such as Intro to Digital Marketing, Social Media Marketing (Graduate), and Social Media and the Business of Public Relations. She has received the outstanding teaching award from students at University of Connecticut in 2015. Since she joined Lewis, she has mentored students on real-world projects for more than thirty non-profit organizations in the local community such as Naper Settlement; Heart Heaven Outreach (H2O), Green Earth Institute, Warren Sharpe Community Center, Will-Grundy Medical Clinic, Aurora Fire Museum, Noah Center, Seed of Hope, Youth Outlook, Will County Veterans Assistance Commission, and Salvation Army, etc. Before she joined academia, she was a founder/director of an online beauty store, a financial analyst for Ozburn-Hessey Logistics and a marketing consultant for Illinois SBDC International Trade Center.Courses Taught:
- Intro to Digital Marketing
- Social Media and the Business of Public Relations
- Digital Marketing Strategies
- Social Media Marketing Strategies
- Intro to Marketing Management
- Marketing Management
- Social Media Marketing
- International Marketing
- Social Media Analytics
- Ma, Minghui, Jian Huang, Shan Lin and Shuai Yang, “From Finance to Marketing: Initial Public Offering Ownership Overhang and Marketing in the Hospitality Industry,” International Journal of Hospitality Management (2019), 76, 71-82.
- Lin, Shan, Shuai Yang, Minghui Ma and Jian Huang, “Value Co-creation on Social Media: Examining the Relationship between Brand Engagement and Display Advertising Effectiveness for Hotels in China,” International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management (2018): 30 (4), 2153-2174.
- Lin, Shan, Shuai Yang, Jeffrey R. Carlson, and William T. Ross Jr. "Brand Engagement on Social Media: Will Firms’ Social Media Efforts Influence Search Engine Advertising Effectiveness?" Journal of Marketing Management (2016): 1-32. 2016 JMM Best Paper Awards
- Lin, Shan, William T. Ross Jr., and Hongju Liu, “Does the Social Value of a Brand Matter? An Empirical Investigation of the Impact of Brand Social Engagement on Firm’s Financial Performance,” conference proceedings, Winter Marketing Educators Conference, 2016 (February), Las Vegas, NV
- Lin, Shan, William T. Ross Jr., and Hongju Liu, “Product Line Positioning Strategies and Firm Financial Performance,” conference proceedings, Winter Marketing Educators Conference, 2014 (February), Orlando, FL
- Lin, Shan, William T. Ross Jr., and Hongju Liu, “Broad or Narrow? Product Line Positioning Strategies and Firm’s Financial Performance,” conference proceedings, Marketing Strategy Meets Wall Street III Conference, 2013 (July), Frankfurt am Main, Germany