About Us

Student Complaints

Department of Education Complaint Process

Federal regulations require institutions of higher education to make public contact information for filing complaints.  The information below is intended to provide both institutional and external contact information to current and prospective students.

Code of Federal Regulations

668.43 Institutional Information

(b) The institution must make available for review to any enrolled or prospective student upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution’s accreditation and its State, Federal, or tribal approval or licensing.  The institution must also provide its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and with its State approval or licensing entity any other relevant State official or agency that would appropriately handle a student’s complaint.

Student Complaints

Lewis University is committed to a policy of fair treatment of its students in their relationships with fellow students, faculty, staff and administrators.  Students are encouraged to seek an informal resolution of a dispute directly with the faculty or individual(s) involved when possible.  For matters where a resolution is not feasible, a student may make a formal appeal/complaint.
There are three categories for formal appeals/complaints:

  • Grade Appeal
  • Academic appeal – not grade
  • Complaints

Procedures for conducting a grade appeals and other academic appeals are available in the course catalog and the student handbook(s).

New Mexico Students

The Department of Education published regulations December 1, 1995 that permits schools to obtain a student’s financial aid history through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Below is the paragraph from the Lewis University Policy and Procedure Manual related to Transfer Monitoring and NSLDS.

NSLDS and Transfer Monitoring

Enrollment reporting is done in the Office of the Registrar. The Clearinghouse performs the necessary reporting of all enrollment statuses, including the new loan requirements for Lewis University. Any discrepancies in the file are reconciled by the Registrar. For a copy of the dates for reporting see the Registrar schedule in the Appendix.

Spring Transfer students are added to the Transfer Monitoring in NSLDS for reporting purposes during the packaging process by the Financial Aid Counselor.

Who is a student for the purposes of this policy?

A student is someone who is currently enrolled full or part-time or who has recently been enrolled in the institution.  If the individual has left the institution and would have to reapply for admission, (catalog states two years) then the complainant is not a student for the purposes of this policy.  In addition, alumni who received a degree two or more years ago are also outside of this policy.

What is a complaint?

For the purpose of this process, a “complaint” is an expression of dissatisfaction concerning, a University employee, department, service, or process, or a University administrative action, that requires clarification, investigation and/or resolution.

Complaint Process

  • A complaint may be verbal or in writing, preferably in writing using the Complaint Form below.
  • It is important to report complaints promptly and to include a short and concise statement of all the relevant facts and the action or remedy you are requesting so that an investigation can be completed and a resolution achieved.
  • Complaints must be filed within 15 business days from the date of the action or occurrence which is the subject of the complaint.
  • The Office of the Provost will assign a tracking number to the complaint and acknowledge its receipt using the contact information you have provided on the complaint form.
  • The Office of the Provost reviews each complaint to determine if it is one upon which action should be taken.  If the complaint is properly the subject of the academic or financial appeals processes, or is a question of academic discretion, the complaint will be dismissed without further action.
  • The Office of the Provost refers complaints requiring further action to the appropriate academic or administrative official (typically, A Dean or Director, or another appropriate administrator whom they have designated) for investigation and resolution.
  • Within 10 business days after receiving a complaint, the Office of the Provost will advise the student in writing either (a) that it has referred the complaint to an administrator for investigation and resolution, and to whom the complaint was referred, or (b) that it has been dismissed the complaint and the reason for the dismissal.
  • An administrator to whom a complaint has been referred has 20 business days from the day of the referral to investigate and address the complaint.  During the investigation and resolution process the administrator will communicate directly with the student who has filed the complaint.  At the conclusion of the investigation and resolution the administrator will notify the student and the Office of the Provost in writing of the results of the investigation and resolution of the complaint.
  • The Office of the Provost may extend the investigation period beyond 20 business days by notifying, in writing, the student who filed the complaint, using the contact information provided on the complaint form.
  • A complaint may be dismissed without further action if the student fails to cooperate in the investigation.

NOTE:  Dealing with concerns in the most direct and honest fashion should always be the first step toward resolution.  Many problems are resolved when one makes an appointment with a faculty or staff member and calmly and honestly communicates their concerns.

Please click on the relevant link to submit your complaint: Student Complaint Form

External Resources

If you have any concerns that we have not been able to resolve regarding Lewis University, additional follow-up can be made through the following external sites.

Online or Distance Education Complaint Resolution

Students enrolled in Online or Distance Education are encouraged to contact their college office or the Center for Advancement in Teaching and Learning to seek advice.  If the issue cannot be resolved through the resources listed above, information regarding the complaint processes for each state of residence is listed below.


New Hampshire 
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
West Virginia