The athletic activities at Lewis University have special needs for visual representations. This is largely due to the application of the Flyers name and image. As such, special designs have been developed to accommodate this, using the University’s history of aviation.
The primary mascot graphic for Lewis University consists of Bedcheck Charlie
and the words Lewis University Flyers. This is the preferred graphic for
most merchandising and printed materials associated with the Department of
Athletics, the Department of Aviation and the Office of Alumni Relations.
For clarification purposes throughout this manual, this graphic will be referred
to as The Lewis Flyer.
A full body view of Bedcheck Charlie is also available for limited use.
Originally drawn by comic book artist Milton Caniff, this mascot is harder
to reproduce, and thus has special requirements:
Do not reduce to less than 1.75" tall.
• Do not use when silk-screening or stitching on merchandise.
Occasionally, the individual Flyer “mark” may be used as a design
element for various printed materials or merchandise as long as the Lewis
Flyer appears in its entirety in the same publication.
A Lewis Flyers nameplate has been created for use in smaller applications
when the preferred Lewis Flyer will not reproduce well. Possible applications
include envelopes, bookstore merchandise, Web pages and pins.
Each of the mascot graphics are available in a variety of formats and
Flat or high-contrast versions do not contain shadows and gradients, and should be used when the product will be laserprinted, photocopied and/or faxed.
Shaded versions should be used when using an outside vendor, or high-end printer.
• One Color - Permitted colors are black, athletic red (PMS 199) or white (reversed).
• Two Color - Black and athletic red (PMS 199) are the official athletic colors.
• Four Color (Full Color) - Bedcheck Charlie and the Lewis Flyer are available for use when printing in process colors (CMYK).
The mascot may be embossed, engraved, foil stamped on paper, etched on metal or glass, cast in metal or carved in stone or wood. Some of these special print (and fabrication) techniques may produce colors other than the official colors previously stated (e.g., silver, gold, wood grain). Many of these techniques require special artwork. Please contact the Office of Marketing and Communications for these digital files.
All approved logos are stored as digital files in Blackboard.
1. Using your Web browser, visit: lewisu.edu/bb
2. Log in using your normal login credentials. For new Blackboard users, use your Lewis e-mail ID for both the username and password. (e.g., if your e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org, then your initial username and password will be “smithan”).
3. Select the “Faculty/Staff” tab
4. Select “Marketing and Communication: Graphics and Templates”
5. Select “Athletic/Sports Graphics”
* Note: Outside vendors must request digital files from the Office of Marketing and Communications at (815) 836-5299.
Each file listed in Figure 11 is available in two different formats (JPEG and EPS).