Delta Epsilon Sigma is a national scholastic honor society for students, faculty and alumni of Catholic universities and colleges. This honor society recognizes students' scholarly accomplishments, fosters scholarly activity, and promotes an intellectual community within the university. Lewis University's Gamma Chi chapter was established in 1965 and is one of over hundred chapters in the U.S.
In order for a student to become a member, he/shee must have at least junior status, have a minimum GPA of 3.5, and be nominated by at least three Delta Epsilon Sigma faculty members. Nominees are judged according to their avid pursuit of scholarship, demonstrated leadership potential, exceptional ethical standards, participation in student activities, and service to the community both on campus and in the surrounding region.
Benefits of Membership
Student members of Delta Epsilon Sigma become members of a national scholarly community that recognizes their academic achievements and character.
Other benefits include:
- Life-long subscription to the Delta Epsilon Sigma Journal containing essays, scholarly articles, poetry and short stories by member of DES.
- Opportunities to apply for $1000 scholarship competitions for study during their senior year and first year of graduate school.
- Opportunity to participate in a national writing competition for a prize of $500.
Results of the 2011 Delta Epsilon Sigma Undergraduate Paper Writing Contest
We received over 40 submissions from Lewis undergraduates, and we thank all of them for participating. These are the winners that the faculty judges decided will each receive
$100 and have their submissions submitted to the national Delta Epsilon Sigma Paper Writing Contest in December for the chance to win $500.
The winners are:
- Ellie Renz for her poem "Silence."
- Timothy Fitzpatrick for his non-fiction prose "Run Like Hell."
- Mark Jacobs for his fiction prose "Someone Else's Blanket."
Congratulations to the winners, and thank you to all you participated in this year's contest.
Current Student Officers
- Liana Vantrease, President
- John Catalano, Jr., Vice President
Lewis University's Delta Epsilon Sigma Chapter's Moderators
- Dr. Laurette Liesen, Department of Political Science
- Dr. James Burke, Department of Theology
2012 Delta Epsilon Sigma Induction Ceremony, November 12, 2012