Application Checklist for International Students

Application Process

Congratulations! You are about to embark on an educational journey that will enhance your personal growth and prepare you for a distinguished career! In order to apply for admission to Lewis University please complete and return the International Student Application as soon as possible.

The International Student Application has several components. You should complete and return all components together at one time, if possible. These include:

  1. The original International Student Application (Undergraduate or Graduate). You can do this through our on-line application, you can download and print our application which is in PDF format for Undergraduate or Graduate students, or we would be happy to send you one by email or through the postal service.

  2. Signed photograph.

  3. Official evidence of English proficiency is required from ALL applicants (undergraduate and graduate):
    • minimal score 550 (paper-based), or 213 (computer-based) or 79 (internet-based) on the TOEFL (

    • or minimal score 6.0 on the IELTS (
  4. Evidence that you have sufficient funding (required by the US Government). International Students can provide a bank statement in the amount listed on the attached page in their own name, or alternatively a combination of an Affidavit of Support, Bank Statement, proof of US employment by a sponsor, scholarship, or fellowship. If you apply online, you will have to submit a written affidavit by your sponsor.

    An Affidavit of Support is an official written and signed statement from your sponsor (which can be a relative, organization, corporation, etc.) stating that s/he will provide you the necessary specific financial support. The statement and accompanying affidavit should not be more than 6 (six) months old. All bank statements should have the name and address of the bank as well as a bank seal. They should also include the name and account number of the account holder, which should be either the name of the international student applicant, or the name of the sponsor signing the affidavit of support.

  5. Official Transcripts or Grade Reports from all previous institutions abroad and in the United States. Please note that you must provide a copy of your high school diploma, Ordinary levels (OI's) certificate, or other evidence of completion of secondary education. All transcripts and records must bear the seal/stamp of the issuing institution (although you may send an unofficial copy to start the process, but will be only "conditionally admitted" until the official copy is received.

  6. Evaluation of all transcripts and grade reports issued by institutions outside the United States or Canada. There are several credential evaluating services which you can use. These include: World Education Services , Education Credential Evaluators , or Educational Perspectives or the International Education Research Foundation . Please note that we will not accept credential evaluations from evaluators not approved by Lewis University for this purpose.

  7. Translation of all non-English language transcripts and grade reports. The translation should be signed by the translator and the name of the company or governmental organization making the translation. The translation should include contact information for the translator including address, phone, and fax number.

  8. Information about your visa status.

    If you are currently in the United States in F-1 or J-1 status you must provide proof of your current visa status including passport, current and all previous I-20 and DS-2019, I-94, and/or I-797 (if you changed your non-immigrant status in the United States). You must also submit a signed Transfer Clearance Form.

    If you are currently in the United States in H, L, E, O, P, R, or some other non-immigrant visa status, please provide us with a copy of your passport, EAD card if you have one, I-94 (Record of Arrival/Departure), and I-797 Notice of Approval, and any other related visa paperwork.

    If you are in the United States on the basis of a pending application for political asylum or permanent residency, or you are a refugee, applicant for temporary resident status, please provide a copy of your passport, I-94 (Record of Arrival/Departure), and if available, a copy of the pending petition.

    Please note, if you do not hold a valid visa status in the United States, you are welcome to apply to and attend Lewis University. We do not discriminate against students on the basis of their status in the United States.

    Lewis University requires that all F-1, M-1, and J-1 students and their dependents comply with all federal immigration laws in order to maintain their visa statuses in the United States.