Health Services

Health Related Issues

Allergy Alert

Dear Lewis Community Members,

As another academic year begins, we want to address an issue of importance to our community and its health. As many of you may be aware, a growing number of individuals, particularly younger people, are experiencing heightened sensitivities and allergies to various substances present in our everyday environment. The substances to which allergies and sensitivities exist run the gamut from food items such as peanuts, to essences in perfumes and body sprays, to common substances such as latex.  The degree of the sensitivity can also exist along a range from a mild annoyance to a potentially life threatening allergic reaction. 

The best way to reduce symptoms is to try and avoid what causes your allergies in the first place. This is especially important for food and drug allergies.

We wish to reinforce to everyone in the community the need to be considerate to others who have such sensitivities. We expect individuals who are affected by environmental allergies to inform those around them, so that people can work together to avoid exposures. We encourage others to be sensitive and cooperative in helping these individuals to avoid exposures (e.g., honoring a request to be fragrance free around them or not bringing latex products like latex balloons into the environment used by persons with latex allergies). Consideration of the needs of others and cooperation in helping reduce exposure is the best way to minimize risks of adverse health consequences to members of the Community. 

Most people with severe allergic reactions are aware of such and are familiar with items that cause their symptoms and avoid any known exposure.  Likewise, these people generally carry an “Epi-Pen” and should wear a “Medical-Alert” bracelet or necklace. As with any medical emergency contact Campus Police for assistance.

Latex Allergy Resources:

Thank you for your time and attention. Please call the office if you have any questions or concerns.

Report of Medical History

To assist Health Services in providing quality medical care, students must complete a medical questionnaire detailing past medical history.

Health/Accident Insurance

It is strongly recommended that students have their own health insurance coverage. Students typically get the best insurance if they are under their parent’s/family’s coverage. However, optional private health insurance is available to students at a cost. Both The Center for Health and Counseling Services and The Office of Student Services have insurance application information and claim forms available for this insurance. The University carries accident insurance only for all resident students, student athletes and those students participating in intramural sports. It is advisable for all students to have a copy of their insurance card and to be knowledgeable about their insurance coverage.

All international students must provide the Director of International Student Services with proof of health insurance valued at not less than ten thousand (U.S. $10,000) dollars. The insurance carrier must have a U.S. - based office. International students who cannot show proof of health insurance from a U.S.-based company will be required to purchase health insurance through the University.

The Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan is underwritten by Guarantee Trust Life Insurance Company of Illinois. All inquiries should be directed to First Agency Inc. at (269) 381-6630 or via the web at

Diet Waivers

Resident students requiring a special diet should provide evidence of their medical condition (laboratory reports, x-ray reports, evidence of hospitalization, etc.) warranting the special diet. The student's physician must submit a copy of the diet. Only if the University Dining Services are unable to satisfy the requirements of the diet will Health Services authorize a waiver of a required meal plan. Diet waivers will only be granted during the first two weeks of a semester and are only good for that particular term. A waiver request must be completed each semester.

Government Resources

CDC (Federal)

IDPH (State)

WCHD (County)