Health Services

Commonly Asked Questions

About the College Student Immunization Code

1. What are the consequences of not complying with the Code?
If you do not fulfill the requirements of the Code, then the Code requires that the University must prevent you from enrolling in subsequent semesters. At approximately 6 weeks into their first semesters, students who are not in compliance will have a late fee and a Health Services hold placed. This hold prevents enrolling in future classes, adding or dropping classes.

2. I do not have records of all of my shots. What are my options?
Here are a number of options that might be helpful to you.

  • Check with your primary or secondary school to see if they have a record of your shots. It is common practice in the United States for high schools to require and to keep copies of immunization records.
  • Catch up on your vaccinations prior to starting at Lewis University. Revaccination is one method to fulfill the requirements of the Code.
  • Talk to your health care provider about a blood test for antibodies against measles, mumps, and rubella. If all of your titers are positive, then you will not require any record of vaccination against these diseases. However, antibody titers can’t substitute for vaccination against either tetanus or diphtheria.
  • Get your Td or Tdap shot at The Center for Health and Counseling Services, the student health center at Lewis University. There is a charge for shots given at the health center.
  • We can provide you with a doctor’s order to have the serology testing done for measles, mumps and rubella. The testing is done off-site at a discounted rate. We can also provide you with local resources that offer the MMR vaccination.
  • You should get revaccinated if you do not have sufficient records.

3. How should my immunization record be signed by my healthcare provider? Who can serve as a health care provider?
The Code requires the name, signature, and telephone number of the health care provider. A health care provider can be a physician (MD, DO) or PA, APN, CNP fully licensed to practice, the local health authority, a registered nurse employed by a school, college, or university, or an Illinois Department of Public Health-recognized vaccine provider.

4. Why does Illinois have an immunization code and why are there different requirements for domestic and international students?
Four of the five vaccine-preventable diseases covered by the Code can easily spread from person to person in school settings and spread into the local community, and cause serious illness or death. There are different requirements for domestic and international students because different countries have different immunization requirements.

5. Are there other vaccinations that university students should have?
Yes. Though there is neither state law nor university requirement to have them, all college students should be immunized against hepatitis B and polio. All university freshmen should be vaccinated against meningococcal disease according to the latest recommendations. All young men and women should be vaccinated against human papilloma virus (HPV.) At least one of adult tetanus/diphtheria shots should include additional protection against pertussis; this would be the Tdap vaccination.

Government Resources

CDC (Federal)

IDPH (State)

WCHD (County)