Steps for Planning a Great Event!
What type of program you are going to do?
The possibilities are endless!
What are you going to call your event?
Determine the goals of the program:
Possible goals include:
- To bring a community together
- To educate
- To expose individuals to different viewpoints
- To support other programs
- To provide entertainment
- To socialize
Here is your Checklist:
- Find a convenient date for members in the group and participants in the program
- Check on facility availability.
- Project the attendance. Determine the program needs. (chairs, tables, lighting, sounds, stage, podium, etc.)
- Choose a convenient time for your target audience
- Do not plan an event when another major event is scheduled.
- Project all expenses and income (sounds, food, travel, etc.).
- Brainstorm additional funding sources.
- It is important to stay within your budget!
- Determine the type of entertainment by researching local, regional and national possibilities.
- Contact and negotiate a price.
- Determine food needs and design a menu.
- Make arrangements for delivery and cleanup
✓ Other things
- Design publicity strategies for targeted audiences and be creative!
- Put publicity up in time for people to plan ahead.
- Design your promotion to fit the style and theme of the program.
- Make publicity neat and accurate.
- Be sure to proofread your publicity before printing it!
Additional possibilities include:
- Travel arrangements
Day of program
Evaluate the program
- Come early to check on room arrangements and set up
- Prepare a brief introduction statement, for example, “Welcome to tonight’s performance. We are proud to present….”
- Determine if you have accomplished your program goals
- Record results (positive and/or negative) for future planning
- Prepare a financial statement of actual expenditures and revenues
- Send thank you notes to appropriate people!
Remember that the SORC and SDL staff are always available to answer any questions and help your event be the best that it can be!