Applicants invited to submit full proposals should adhere to the following proposal format. The proposals should be submitted electronically, via e-mail to Dr. Joyce Hayward
or Dr. Mallory Havens
, Co-Chairs of the Culture of Inquiry Coordinating Committee. Use the specified template for the required 'Biographical Sketch' in Word format. The submission deadline is given on the home page of this site.
- Title Page
(If requesting reassignment time, indicate semester requested on title page)
- Purpose statement [explains why this project is important] and aims
[for research include: specific aims, research questions or hypotheses as appropriate]
- Background/literature review
- Theoretical framework, model or philosophical perspective that guides this study or project
- Approach or methodology that will be used to carry out the project. [For research studies include: a description of the design, sample and sampling plan, recruitment methods, setting, study procedures, measures, and data analysis as appropriate. Include copies of survey instruments as well as reliability and validity of instruments as appropriate.
- Cited current references
- Relevant supporting documents, e.g., letters of support from consultants and collaborators
- Biographical sketch (See 'Biographical Sketch Template', on this site)
- Caterpillar Scholar applications include a budget
- For studies involving human subjects, investigator documents commitment to obtain IRB approval prior to initiating study.
- Brief explanation of Boyer category chosen for this project, i.e. Discovery, Integration, Application, or Teaching
The proposal should be written in a clear informative style that can be understood by both academics in your field of study as well as outside your field of study. Define terms as appropriate and use consistent terminology to promote conceptual clarity.