Psychology, B.A. (Accelerated)
Discover the inner workings of the human mind.
Experience the rewards that result from gaining an in-depth understanding of human behavior.
Through personal growth and intellectual challenge, you’ll gain an appreciation for the diversity of the human experience in a format designed to help you balance work, family and education. Whether you are interested in pursuing a career in psychology, counseling, human resource management, or want a useful and interesting academic springboard into any profession, Lewis' accelerated Psychology major for adults will help you explore the fascinating world of the human mind. It emphasizes a critical analysis of research as applied to real-world problems, the importance of recognizing individual uniqueness and cultural pluralism to foster a sense of community, and the recognition of human values in the context of psychological science.
Why Choose Lewis?
- The biological bases of behavior, cognition, learning and human development
- How to relate psychological principles to real-world applications
- Empathic understanding
- Ethical reasoning
- Statistical analyses/application
- Group work skills
- Communication, teamwork and leadership skills
- Critical-thinking, research and counseling skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
Adult Accelerated Learning Format
- Our active chapter of Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology is open to Psychology majors/minors who meet the Society’s minimum requirements. Its purpose is to encourage, stimulate, and maintain excellence in scholarship of the individual members in all fields, particularly in psychology, and to advance the science of psychology. Not only does this Society give its members the opportunity for recognition of their academic achievements and exposure to professional conventions, it also gives them the opportunity to learn more about the field and connect with professionals.
- Our Psychology Club is open to all students and offers social, service and psychology-related activities. As a Lewis Psychology Club member you will have the opportunity to meet fellow students and Psychology faculty in a social setting, engage in community service projects, participate in fun events, and develop lasting friendships.
- Training on Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS), a program highly valued by prospective employers.
- Ranked 14 for Adult Students by Best Colleges.com.
- Ranked as one of U.S. News & World Report’s “Top Tier Colleges.”
- Recently named #1 best private college value in Illinois by Great Value Colleges.
- Small interactive classes provide the ideal environment to learn with and from your peers.
Beyond the Classroom
- Adult-only classes mean learning with and from other working professionals just like you
- 8-week accelerated course format is designed to fit your busy lifestyle
- Discounted tuition for adult learners
An understanding of human behavior can help in any career. Our graduates are able to apply their advanced knowledge in the following professions:
- Bank Management
- Case Manager
- Child Care
- Community Services
- Consulting Services
- Court/Juvenile Services
- Educational Services
- Elder Care
- Employee Relations
- Employment Services
- Financial Services
- Government/Legislative Services
- Human Resources
- Human Services
- Law Enforcement
- Market Research
- Private/Nonprofit Management
- Production/Quality Control
- Public Relations/Media Services
- Research Analyst
- Sales Representative
- Social Services
- Volunteer Services
- Youth Services