For those who question what others don't.
Explore what you believe and learn to effectively communicate it with a Philosophy degree from Lewis University.
"True philosophy is relearning to see the world."
- Maurice Merleau-Ponty
There is much more to philosophy than just sitting outdoors and contemplating the meaning of life - but that's part of your Philosophy degree at Lewis University in which you will:
Philosophy Course Options Include:
- Analyze and interpret the works of past and modern philosophers
- Examine basic questions concerning correct reasoning and the nature and sources of human knowledge and values
- Investigate fundamental questions surrounding nature, being, reason, knowledge and faith that philosophers have wrestled with for centuries
- Develop speaking and writing skills that enable you to communicate your own views effectively
- Learn to analyze, develop and formulate logical arguments
- Better your life through real-life and practical application of philosophical thoughtfulness
Life after Lewis
- Ancient and Medieval Philosophy
- Philosophical Issues in Race and Gender
- Philosophies of Asia, Africa and Native America
- African-American Philosophy
- LBGTQ Rights and Issues
- Love, Hatred and Resentment
- Philosophy of God
- Metaphysics and Epistemology
- Modern Philosophy
- Philosophy of Dance
- Philosophy of Yoga
The philosopher's ability to see the world - not as it is, but how it should be - is why more and more companies are trusting philosophy majors to help create new markets and paradigms for business, industry and state. Lewis Philosophy degree graduates go on to succeed in graduate school, law school or a wide variety of careers which require intensive communication and critical thinking skills, including education, business, psychology, social work, public administration and health care.
And the Answer Is…Philosophy!
- What was the major of billionaire LinkedIn Founder Reid Hoffman?
- What was the major of billionaire hedge fund manager George Soros?
- What the major of Supreme Court Justices Steven Breyer and David Souter?
- What was the major of Overstock.com founder and CEO Patrick Byrne?
- What was the major of Flickr co-founder Stewart Butterfield?
- What was the major of the 14th Dalai Lama, Jeopardy Host Alex Trebek and Office co-creator Ricky Gervais?
- What was the major of rapper Dessa, Serbian Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic and Cincinnati Symphony conductor Jesús López-Cobos?
- What is the major that scores the highest in verbal and writing assessment for the GRE, the most widely accepted graduate admissions test?
- What is the major that scores the highest in the Law School Aptitude Test and rank firsts among all majors in law school acceptance rate (82.4%)?
- According to the Wall Street Journal, what is the #1 earning humanities major for mid-career earning potential?
Philosophy is a very popular minor for students looking to add a critical thinking skillset to their degree program.
Philosophy is a popular dual major, often earned in combination with programs such as Political Science, English, Physics, and Criminal/Social Justice.
"Philosophy and entrepreneurship are a surprisingly good fit. Some of the most successful tech entrepreneurs and innovators come from a philosophy background and put the critical thinking skills they developed to good use launching new digital services to fill needs in various domains of society." - The Huffington Post
"Philosophy is the #1 earning humanities major for mid-career earning potential.
" - The Wall Street Journal