Additional courses in the content area are required for earning a licensure to teach in the middle school.
Learn the latest methods for effective middle level instruction.
New requirements from the State of Illinois for teaching middle school means big opportunities for new teachers.
Our dedicated faculty will share their real-world experience teaching young adolescents with you in the classroom so you can provide students with the skills to succeed throughout their transition into adulthood.
A Classroom Suited to Your Needs
A Bachelor of Arts in Middle Level Education from Lewis University will have you fully prepared to help shape the minds of today’s young adolescents in a highly needed position in the educational field. That’s because we’ve revised the program to meet the new requirements for licensure by the State of Illinois. You’ll have the opportunity to connect theory with practice through required activities and assignments, as well as apply course concepts in authentic environments. This will be accomplished by observation and participation in a wide-range of in-classroom teaching experiences designed to help you develop the skills and confidence to be an effective teacher. Upon completion of the program, you’ll be able to teach grades 5-8 in the areas of Language Arts, Mathematics, Science or Social Studies at the junior high or middle school settings. As a student in the program, you’ll enjoy:
- Innovative coursework that emphasizes meeting the needs of today’s diverse classrooms and discussing the benefits and challenges of several different approaches to teaching and learning
- Actual teaching practice by learning the theory and observing classrooms and interacting with 5-8 grade students
- Enhanced employment opportunities based on Lewis’ connectedness to regional school districts
- Strong reputation for providing quality graduates to regional school districts
- Small class sizes led by faculty and staff who are committed to helping you balance work, family and education
- Use of the latest technologies, such as smartboards, tablets, and other advanced web-based technologies
Unique field placements built into the program provide hands-on experience and exposure to various settings, students, cultures and learning styles.
Why Choose Lewis?
Life After Lewis
- All programs are fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the premier accrediting agency for colleges of education
- Recognized as a Regional Top 25 University by U.S. News & World Report
- Named #1 best college value in Illinois by Great Value Colleges
- Social justice and multicultural curriculum based on the belief that all students are capable of learning and the importance of adapting instruction to serve all students
Our graduates are able to bring their advanced knowledge to the following career options:
- Junior High or Middle School Teacher
- Work as a curriculum developer for a textbook publisher
For additional information, contact the Office of Admission at (815) 836-5250 or email@example.com