Increased student achievement can only happen in schools where administrators are well versed in research-based pedagogy and content, especially in such crucial areas as ethical and moral leadership, school governance, school law, curriculum, instruction and assessment, school finance, and other practices related to the leadership of schools. Lewis University will help you to learn how to provide the optimal learning environment for your faculty, students, and staff. Pursue the extraordinary ways you can impact students’ futures in roles where increased demand for student growth and development is expected.
There is a need for strong leaders in our schools. The Master of Education Degree in Educational Leadership with Principal Endorsement is designed to assist current licensed teachers to move into principal and assistant principal positions that require transformational leadership and social justice advocates. This program meets the ELCC (Educational Leadership Constituent Council), ISLLC (Interstate School Leader Licensure Consortium) and SREB (Southern Regional Education Board) standards for building level leadership and is approved by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Students will be able to complete internships in their own school settings and do not have to take time off from their jobs.
Dedicated to Your Education
One of only a few universities in the Chicago area to offer a Master of Education in Educational Leadership with Principal Endorsement for P-12 settings, Lewis University provides a challenging curriculum that prepares educators to effectively transition into leadership positions, such as principal and assistant principal. As a student in this program, you will understand the importance of transformational leadership through courses and experiences such as:
Director of Special Education Endorsement
- Ethical and Moral Foundations of Educational Leadership
- Multicultural Foundations for Educators
- Critical Issues in School Law for Educational Leaders
- School Finance
- The principal as critical transformative leader
If you hold a Professional Educator License with a Principal Endorsement, you can elect to complete coursework leading to Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) approval for the Director of Special Education Endorsement. The Director of Special Education Endorsement is granted by the ISBE, not Lewis University, via individual transcript evaluation. You can apply for the Endorsement by submitting all transcripts to ISBE for review. ISBE will notify you if any additional coursework is required for this Endorsement.
Why Choose Lewis?
Life After Lewis
- All programs are fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the premier accrediting agency for colleges of education
- Lewis’ Principal Endorsement program has been approved by the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC ), the national organization approving programs leading to school administration
- 33 credit-hour program can be completed in approximately two-and-a-half years
- Small sized cohorts allow you to grow with your peers, led by faculty who are experts in their field with real-world experience
- Strong reputation for providing outstanding graduates for positions in school districts throughout the states
- Recognized as a Regional Top 25 University by U.S. News & World Report
- Named #1 best college value in Illinois by Great Value Colleges
- Tuition discounts and scholarship plans make Lewis one of the most affordable private universities in the Chicago area
- Use of advanced technologies
- Social justice and multicultural curriculum based on the belief that all students are capable of learning and the importance of adapting instruction to serve all students
Our graduates are able to bring their advanced knowledge to the following career options:
- Principal or Assistant Principal
For additional information, contact the Office of Graduate Admission at (815) 836-5610 or firstname.lastname@example.org.