Strengthen your ability to teach reading and literacy.
Expand your professional credentials and meet the needs of schools who are looking to improve students’ literacy and learning: a high-needs area in education.
Work at your own pace or with a cohort of your peers as you learn to better prepare all students to be literate and motivated readers. Our small class sizes and hands-on approach will give you techniques that can be immediately applied in your classroom.
Providing you with opportunity for growth
As a student in Lewis University’s Curriculum and Instruction: Reading Teacher Endorsement, M.Ed. program, you’ll learn from experts in their fields. Learn to best address the demands of the Common Core standards for the most challenged learners and enhance your practice as a literacy professional. Topics you’ll explore in this program include:
- Instructional methods for different age groups
- Strategic comprehension instruction and technology for literacy
- Diagnosing and addressing reading problems in all students
- Meeting the needs of diverse learners in a multicultural world
Upon completion of the program, you’ll be ready to take the Illinois Test for the Reading Teacher and receive your Reading Teacher Endorsement.
Reading Specialist Completion Option
Upon completion of this program, you can complete the requirements for Reading Specialist credentials by taking just five additional courses. The reading program is recognized by the International Literacy Association (ILA).
Reading Teacher Endorsement (Non-Degree) program
Coursework for the Reading Teacher Endorsement on your Professional Educator License is also available without obligation to complete the degree. We’ll work with you to customize coursework to complete State of Illinois requirements, whether you need one credit or all 24 credits. See the curriculum.
Why choose Lewis?
Life after Lewis
- The Lewis University Reading program is approved by the International Literacy Association (ILA).
- The College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Recognized as a Regional Top 25 University by U.S. News & World Report
- Named #1 best college value in Illinois by Great Value Colleges
- Clinical/field work assignments are designed with the working teacher in mind and serve to enhance your practice.
- Strong reputation for providing quality graduates to regional school districts
- Small class sizes led by faculty and staff who are committed to helping you balance work, family and education
- Cohorts offered at various campus sites, as well as at district schools with adequate enrollment
- Social justice and multicultural curriculum based on the belief that all students are capable of learning and the importance of adapting instruction to serve all students
Our graduates are able to apply their advanced knowledge to the following career options:
For additional information, contact the Office of Graduate Admission at (815) 836-5610 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reading Specialist
- Literacy Coach
- Reading Teacher