Additional courses in Spanish language, literature, and culture are required for a licensure to teach Spanish.
Experience the reward that comes with being a bridge between cultures.
Learn to effectively teach the next generation the value of understanding other cultures in an ever increasingly diverse world during their early academic years.
Through small class sizes led by dedicated faculty, you’ll learn state-of-the-art pedagogical methods for effective foreign language instruction, including the use of emerging technologies and media design.
Designed for Your Success
With a Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Language Education from Lewis University, you can make an extraordinary impact on the world. That’s because our faculty will share their real-world experience with you, providing a first-hand account of teaching the Spanish language and opening students’ minds to another culture, as well as future career opportunities later in life. We do this by focusing on development of language proficiency (speaking, writing and reading), cultural and linguistic knowledge, and critical thinking. As a student in this program, you’ll enjoy:
Spanish Language Specialization
- Innovative program that covers the material for earning a bachelor’s degree with a major in Spanish, as well as preparation for licensure to teach Spanish at the K-12 setting
- Teaching practices by learning instructional techniques and their application by observing K-12 classrooms and interacting with students
- The benefit of Lewis’ connectedness to regional school districts for future employment
- A welcoming community filled with people dedicated to helping your academic and educational growth
- Use of the latest technologies, such as Blackboard, iPads, Smartboards, and more
Currently, we are only offering this program in preparation for those looking to teach Spanish.
Unique field placements built into the program provide hands-on experience and exposure to various students, cultures and learning styles.
Study Abroad Opportunities
We encourage our Foreign Language Education students to study abroad for a summer or semester, and work to make it affordable through relationships with our Lasallian partner schools around the globe. In fact, for the majority or our international opportunities, studying abroad costs about the same as the cost of living on campus during the semester.
Why Choose Lewis?
Life after Lewis
- All programs are approved by the Illinois State Board of Education and are fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the premier accrediting agency for colleges of education
- Recognized as a Regional Top 25 University by U.S. News & World Report
- Named #1 best college value in Illinois by Great Value Colleges
- Social justice and multicultural curriculum based on the belief that all students are capable of learning and the importance of adapting instruction to serve all students
Our graduates are able to bring their advanced knowledge to the following career options:
- Foreign Language Education Teacher with Spanish licensure
- Translator in the U.S. or Spanish-speaking countries
For additional information, contact the Office of Admission at (815) 836-5250 or firstname.lastname@example.org